Today I worked on my computer - filing all the books I list on Amazon. I had help from my good friend, Caroline. I also took Addie and Kodi for two short walks and attended a class on Child Abuse Prevention with Anne. We are going to help out in a children's camp in Appalachia this summer. Can't wait!
I also made a cream of black bean soup and gave most away to an Indian family who are vegetarians. I tutor their son who is in the third grade. Dad manages a hotel and Mom works about an hour's drive east as a bookkeeper for an insurance company. She has been getting up at 2 am so as to be at work by 4 am. Then she gets home about 6:30 and makes dinner. I hope they like the meal because if they do it will give Mom a break!
Here is the recipe:
Creamy Black Bean Soup
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn: frozen, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Toppings: avocado, sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges, tortilla chips, chopped onion
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes or until tender.
- Blend 3/4 of the beans with the half and half.
- Stir in blended beans, remaining beans, corn, salsa, chili powder and cumin - stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven; cover and heat but do not boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and lime juice. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Serve with desired toppings.